Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Apr 96 23:54:08 EDT
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
Subject:      window rubber question

Hey all, First off, I want to thank Steve Dolan for the generous donation of all the parts from his dead '79 to the cause :) . His bus died so that others might live.

I got some window glass from Steve's bus, including the heated rear window (the defroster grid on mine is currently worn beyond repair -- I've tried), the left rearmost side window, all one piece (to replace the two-piece solid window/vent window on my '78, and the middle left sliding window to again replace the two-piece solid/vent window I have there. I know, but mine was an early '78, so it has vent windows.

So, first, let me ask if anyone out there has the sliding window setup (complete with window rubber) for the sliding door. That's the one I'm missing and that's also the one that's in the worst shape on my bus. If anyone wants to part with one of these, please let me know.

Secondly, I need to know about window rubber. My new sliding window has the rubber intact so I will reuse that. The seal for the heated rear window was destroyed upon removal so I will need a new one. I see that Rocky Mountain Motorworks carries the seal with molding groove for $29.99. West Coast Metric lists this same part as being unavailable, but they do have the "Cal-Look" seal without the molding groove for $18.00. I would prefer the molding groove as that's what's on there now, so how good does RMMW's rubber tend to be? Is there anywhere else that I could buy some quality rubber from for less?

For the left side rearmost side window, RMMW has this seal without the molding groove for $89.95. WCM has the same part for $28.00. I really don't want to spend $90 for this seal. Would the WCM seal be OK? I have heard some bad stories recently on the list about WCM rubber. Neither store has the seal with the molding groove, which is unfortunate. Does anyone know of a store that carries the seal for this window with the molding groove?

That should be all the questions I have for now. Thanks for any help.

Sean