Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Apr 1996 14:51:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      Mystery single cab splittie!

I just noticed in the parking lot where I work, a single cab splittie I've never seen before. Looks a lot like someone's been doing some barnyard restoration, and today was so nice they decided to bring it out. No list sticker visible, so ownership is a mystery. To me, anyway.

The body has a lot of surface rust, but almost no rust-thru. Some straight, flat creases that suggest someone's been ironing dents out but hasn't gotten around to painting yet-- some of the creases are growing surface rust. Very few dings and dents in the bed and gates, all of which are present. Interior looks OK, old, maybe even original?

It has claw door handles, hinged at the back with the curved, pointy handle extending forward. Bullet turn signals in fron, tiny round taillights in back with new-looking lenses (bullets have old, faded, fractured but complete white lenses). Interior is OK, old, maybe original? Speedometer, no other gauges. Dash isn't hacked up at all!

Paint is very old, and looks it. Needs stripping/sanding/paint badly.

Inside the engine compartment, to the right of the engine on the fixed part of the metal, is the number 672483, or maybe 612483-- second digit didn't have much of a top, but was leaning to the right.

Engine is a dual port, with vacuum distributor, 12V alternator, shortie mushroom-shaped fuel pump, and remotely mounted spin-on oil filter. Don't know if it had a cooler, but with the filter I'd expect so. AS case, looks very newly rebuilt, new alternator (not generator) and fuel pump. Solex 34PICT carb, paper-element round air cleaner, single quiet-pack exhaust.

This thing is amazingly complete-- only piece I could see missing, was lock or push button from the engine hatch. Hatch hinges were real stiff. Gold-on-blue California plates, expired Sept. 95 (oops-- hope The Man isn't listening). Looks like someone just put a newly rebuilt engine into it, and decided to drive it to work today for the h*ll of it.

Anyone know what year this critter is?

I left a note on it-- hope he/she/it calls!

P.S. strange, bus-like wheels, but with 165SR15 tires on them, and they seem to fit. Has the large, round goldfish-bowl hubcaps, that were once painted white (same as the car) but are now showing a lot of surface rust thru the paint (just like the car).

_______ /\ o o o\ Steve Maher smaher@gi.com 75461,1717 /o \ o o o\_______ San Diego, California < >------> o /| \ o/ o /_____/o| '80 VW V6anagon \/______/ |oo| '66 Mustang Coupevertible | o |o/ '89 Son Sherwin |_______|/ http://www.lookup.com/homepages/76242/home.html

"Tax the rich, subsidize the poor." "From each according to his means, to each according to his needs." Any Questions?