Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Apr 1996 15:19:52 -0700
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Matt's world tour

Just got off the phone with Matt, who is touring California in a recently bought '70. He's in Healdsburg, having just driven in from Mendicino. Healdsburg is about 110 miles north of me. He's a little worried about his bus:

Engine made a 'squealing' noise twice yesterday, for a few seconds as they pulled of the freeway, and again as they pulled in to stop. It made this squealing noise again this morning right after the engine was started.

Matt isn't sure where the noise is coming from. He recently adjusted the fanbelt and was concerned that he'd made the belt too tight, and thus was trashing the main bearings (which Muir warns about). I said that I didn't think a high pitched squeal, intermitantly, was the sign of a failing main bearing.

He's also recently adjusted the clutch cable and wondered if that might be the source of the noise- (and I think- 'throw out bearing?').

He said the engine is missing a little, has 4-5K on the rebuild done/bought by the previous owner. It has a bit of an oil leak so Matt himself has never changed the oil- on the theory that oil doesn't stay in the engine that long.

He talked to a local mechanic/FLAPS guy and the best aircooled mechanics don't work Sunday or Monday, so he really can't get a qualified opinion today. A local mechanic/FLAPS guy recomended driving at night when it is cooler and leaving the engine hatch open... For some reason Matt and his advisor believe the engine may not be running right (missing?) and may be overheating. He's burning 87 octane gas.

He's also got some electrical intermittants- the generator light comes on sometimes at low RPMS, or when he turns on the turn signals. He says tapping on the fusebox often makes the generator warning lamp go out.

I gave the following free advice:

1) Don't drive with engine hatch open. I explained the theory of bus cooling air circulation- cool air in the top, hot out the bottom, hatch and tin prevent hot air recirculation.

2) Change the oil NOW and change again in 1500 miles. See what kind of crud has accumulated on the screen and along the plate. Even if all the oil falls out after 1500 miles and is replaced, crud accumulates on the screen and strainer which should be gotten rid of.

3) If you want to know the condition of the engine do a compression check and inspect the plugs. Valves had been set not too long ago and didn't require large adjustment. They were a little loose. I probably should have told him to get the valves set again to be clear where they're at now.

4) For the electrical problems, roll the fuses a few turns to make good connection. After that, check the quality of the conection from battery to body, from battery to starter and the rest of the positive side of the circuit, from the transmission to the body. Probably should have had him check the generator and regulator connections too.

5) Re-check the clutch cable to make sure there's real free play- back-off the wing-nut until 1/16 of an inch or more dead slack at the nut.

I reminded him that one can always repeat the checks at the beginning and end of a service procedure to see if it got done right.

I also voiced my theory that maybe his squealing sound was the generator bearings. Could that be right?

Matt didn't sound that sure he'd like to do the mechanical stuff, himself, understandable, a lot of this is new. He's got a copy of the Muir book and some tools. I told him he could have the oil change and compression and plugs checked by a compentent mechanic OR do it himself. I emphasized that an oil change was called for, and suggested, if he's concerned about overheating, that better-than-87 gas might be used. (fireproof underwear ON!)

He also said his travelling companion needs to get to the US/Mexico border in New Mexico pronto for some visa related stuff.

I gave him the phone number of a friend who lives in Sonoma and who might know good mechanics in the Healdsburg/Santa Rosa/Sonoma area. He's going to call me tomorrow night, and try to meet for coffee, etc. Also hoping to meet Martha.

Bob, Dennis, Clara, friends, did I give fair advice? What did I miss? I'll report any symptoms further here, and feed any advice back to Matt when he calls next.