Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Apr 96 16:59 CST
From:         khooper@wsp1.wspice.com (Ken Hooper)
Subject:      Re: 68: What is this damnable noise???

>Duuuhhh, it sure sounds like the main bearings to me. That is EXACTLY the >sound that they make (and so described by Muir).

I really don't think it's mains. I've never had mains go bad (has anybody on this list ever driven the mains out of an engine?) but Muir says you feel it more than hear it. This sucker is loud. I can feel *something*, but it's pretty subtle, and whatever it is could be anything in the driveline and may just be coincidental with the noise. This is sort of a beater, there are enough vibrations going on to attribute anything to anything else, believe me. ;)

Also, I mentioned previously that engine speed makes no difference. I can be going 45 in third, then shift to fourth, a difference in RPM of [I'd tell you if I had a tach, feels like ~900-1000] and it makes no difference in the noise whatsoever.

And I had a good flail at the pulley; there's no discernible end-play at all.

>A better possibility (and cheaper) is air leak into the passenger >compartment.

This is certainly possible, and I'm holding it open. There are air leaks galore--but no new ones that coincide with the sudden appearance of the noise.

>Another possiblity ( and even more scary) is the ring and pinion gears of >the trans.

This scares me the most. Hoover says it's easy at *his* house, but most of us can't fabricate an entire bus with nothing but a loincloth and a pile of iron ore. I have a spare trans but using it would make the possibility of putting the '71 back on the road this year very remote.

Thanks for all the help, everybody.

--Ken '71 Bus, '68 Westy