Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Apr 1996 08:50:09 PDT
From:         "Shawn Wright" <SW@smus.bc.ca>
Subject:      '88 Power Steering - Update

After studying the Bentley trying to solve my uneven steering resistance problem, I decided I'd try the method they suggest, although without the fancy gauge.

So with wheels off the ground, engine off, the wheel turns and gets stiff at about every 1/2 turn throughout. Hmmm. Start engine, same thing. Listened for bearing noise in column - very little. So I'm thinking, it doesn't seem like a rack would do this if it were going. Seems like a sticking universal joint or something. Then I spot the "transfer gear" housing as the book calls it. It mentions to grease it with steering gear grease (?) and that it's not repairable - must be replaced. It does *not* say how to get them d*mn thing out...

So: Does it sound likely that this thing is the cause? Has anyone removed it before? Where do I get the special grease from?

ps: I also have a bit of a dilemma - I've got a few more days to claim stuff under the dealer warranty where they will cover 50% cost, so I'm wondering if I should tell them to replace the rack, gearbox, pump, etc & pay the 50%, or just wait & do the work when it does go for good, and get the parts at a wrecker. Although the steering seems to be original with 320K km, the pump is quiet & no signs of leaks. Any advice?

Thanks!

Shawn :) Shawn '88 Westy 322k (Kyra) '85 Jetta TD 341k (Jenni)