Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Apr 1996 17:53:56 -0500
From:         Renee Norris <rnorris@wam.umd.edu>
Subject:      My new '87 Syncro Westy...

Hello All, I just got back from a weekend spent working on my new aquisition. I haven't yet gotten any info on the camping equipment or the Bentley manual so I have some questions if any of you have the answers. My first problem deals with a small oil leak located around a plug like object on the pan of the engine directly below the oil filter. It is a (app.) one-inch circular recessed plug with a long narrow groove. Is this an access plug to the oil chamber, an additional oil plug, or THE oil plug with the center bolt being another strainer? Also, how do I stop the leak, how do I tighten it and should I be careful of the torque. This engine is greatly different than the air-cooled and other water-cooled engines I've worked on. Without the manual I feel like I'm performing some kind of "Alien Autopsy"....."What the Hell is that flap of skin for?".... My other problem is the leaking faucet. The faucet is completely cracked between the mounting plate and the first threads of the bottom. I may patch the crack, replace the faucet, or place a different sprayer and switch in it's place. What do you suggest and what is the availability of the faucets? (Any ideas of price?) Other than that my weekend was great: rewiring lights and the frig...I CAN"T BELIEVE I GOT IT WORKING!!!, and cleaning and learning. I can't wait until this weekend when I try out the propane. This is a frightening prospect since I don't know what I'm doing yet....Any suggestions?????

Thanks for all the input! I'll keep the list posted on the progress of the beasts rebirth as a fully functioning member of Vanagon society.

-- ********************************************************************* _________________ | | Gary Norris: (|_________________|) '86 Volvo DL |\ \ | / /| '86 Cabriolet | \ \ | / / | '73 Thing | - \___________/ - | '87 Syncro Westy | 0 | | 0 | rnorris@wam.umd.edu |___|__|_____|__|___| "Never put off until tomorrow, what |__| |__| you can get someone else to do."