Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Apr 1996 18:27:06 -0500
From:         vwbus@TCPBBS.COM
Subject:      A neat trick (non-VW related)

Hate to get way off subject here but I just did something that always amazes me that is not really common knowledge and might come in use to some of our "techie" types some day. The ole cordless phone uses a ni-cad battery pack and if I forget to charge it for 7+ days it will run down and refuse to accept a charge. Now old ni-cads will develope this problem in addition to their more common "memory effect" problem wherein if you recharge them before fully discharging they don't fully recharge. But back to the can't charge at all problem, when ni-cads do this they have developed an either an internal chemical open or short condition and there is an easy trick to getting them back. Simply take a 1000uf capacitor or so (big) charge to 25 VDC or so and discharge through battery by just touching to terminals for an instant. If said capacitor is not available rigging up a way to touch the terminals for a split second to a good 5-10 amp 12VDC battery charger will produce the same effect. You burn through the problem and can recharge normaly saving you $15 for a new battery pack. This is a common model airplane trick. So recovered the battery pack should be good a long long time. You must only contact the power source for a split second (brush the terminal for 1 good spark). A car battery would be suitable as well.

OF COURSE IF YOU ARE AN IDIOT DON'T DO THIS AS A PROLONGED APPLICATION OF CURRENT WILL LIKELY BLOW THE BATTERY SKY HIGH.

John vwbus@tcpbbs.com