Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Apr 1996 18:47:22 -0500
From:         vwbus@TCPBBS.COM
Subject:      Re: '88 Power Steering - ATF Dexron ??

DH> DH>>I do remember gear oil smelling of sulfur. But I'm still confused. If the DH>>"GL" classification of 6 is better than 5 which is better than 4, where DH>>does a GL-4 synthetic (ie Redline's MTL GL-4) fit in? DH>> DH>> NO, NO, NO, NO.

IT DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY!!!

The GL rating is a rating describing the wear additive formulation (hence some smelling of sulphur, some not). GL4 is the ONLY correct formulation for a VW box of any type. I swear on my not yet dead mother's grave if you put something other than a GL4, even a GL4, GL5, GL6 rater in a new VW box and a problem does develop under warranty and they find out you will be up the proverbial crick. There is a lengthy FAQ about this whole thing on the FWD VW FAQ server who's address I forget (it is on the standard MIT FAQ archive as well). I'm going to print out MIL-L-2105 and the API standard tomorrow and I'll summarize for the list. In MIL specs the type simply refers to a different and perhaps totaly incompatible formulation often arbitrarily assigned, there is NO GL6, better than GL5, better than GL4 sequencing instead one is for say clutch type limited slips, one has sulphur- phosper additive (GL4 OURS) etc. Now Redline and others will claim now-adays that the new synthetics are so stable that they will not hurt any box, still they make GL4 ONLY oils specifically for VW's the MTL and MT90 and VW will VOID warranty if they figure out you used something else, there was much discussion about this on the early days of the Corrado list as early G60's have tendancies to eat 2nd gear synchro hubs. It is the metalurgy of the VW box particularly the synchros that requires a GL4 oil. Your ultimate safe bet is VW synthetic factory fill at $30+/qt from your local dealer but Redline stuff is race proven as well.

BTW, must correct an earlier statement, MTL is actually thinner than MT90, some racers use it in FWD boxes for quicker shifting, less drag, however the above mentioned FAQ has a number of claims pro and con, some say it killed their tranny, take your chances, MT90 is right for FWD, MTL for Vans

John vwbus@tcpbbs.com