Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Apr 1996 22:15:14 -0500
From:         vwbus@TCPBBS.COM
Subject:      Another Little CV Question

Somebody please answer this for me, it is driving me crazy. I dissasembled the axles on the '85 tonight to replace boots, and repack joints. I am so anal about these that I always scribe the inner and outer races and the cage with a carbide scribe and even track the locations of the balls. Well funny thing is somebody has been here before on 2 of them the inner races are incorrectly assembled with the chamfer on the splines not facing in toward the shoulder on the shaft. But the thing I can't remember and that neither my Haynes Bus, or Bentley Vanagon manual will tell me is the orientation of the cage. The cage is chamfered on one edge and not on the other and on 2 the chamfer is out, on the other 2 it is in. My gut instinct is chamfer in to allow more shaft clearance somehow. Funny thing is that in the Haynes manual one photo clearly shows the chamfer out toward the circlip when they remove the circlip but the flat side is out upon re-installation. Groove on outer race is out on all mine as it should be. 2 that I took off the '78 to replace have chamfer in, but they had been messed with before as well. The only new part I have is a transform rebuild, and to complicate things it has their "race" cage with no chamfer whatsoever. Does any of this matter? I am best to leave as they are, they have been fine obviously. That chamfer is there for a reason for clearance at full droop, I just can't decide if it is to clearance the shaft or the outside side of the inner race. On a side note, the CV's with 72k are generally in great shape except for the cages which barely hold their balls, I'm going to do the reverse em shaft to shaft trick as to me this looks like a 100% foolproof way to double the wear, as the track on both races should reverse it's angle and the cage should wear on the opposite side of each ball cutout. Anyway any insight appreciated before I put this mess back together with grease.

John vwbus@tcpbbs.com