Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Apr 1996 06:14:21 -0500
From:         DHaynes57@aol.com
Subject:      Re: The Clutch Eater/and what is a pilot bearing

In a message dated 96-04-01 20:10:10 EST, SMAHER@gi.com (Maher, Steve (SD-MS)) writes:

>Then the larger question: Why does this car seem to have an appetite for >clutches? I haven't exactly been nice to this clutch, and it is handling >more torque that it was originally designed for. The Kennedy people who >designed the adapter, say it can handle it, but now I wonder. Also, for >several months I've been hearing a strange screech from the rear of the >car whenever I sped up the engine abruptly (starting out from a standing >stop, double-clutching to downshift, etc.). I thought this was a loose >alternator belt, which I tightened a week ago. Sound seemed to go away, >but then came back a few days before the San Jose trip. > >

The clutch center getting torn apart is caused by the transmission shaft not running true to the rotation of the engine. The shaft as mounted in the transmission is actually loose and wobbles. If you ever repaired these trannies, you would see that the input shaft uses a splined coupling to attache it to the transmission main shaft. the coupling is set loose so the shaft can wobble there. The pilot bearing in the crankshaft actually supports the input shaft and holds it concentric to the rotation of the engine. If the shaft is worn at all where it goes into the pilot bearing, it must be replaced. Another sign of missalignment is that the transmission will usually leak. I would also suspect that you may have an alingment or mounting depth problem due to the engine adapter set up. Maybe your flywheel is not centered on the engine adapter also. All these things need to be checked out to determine the cause of your failures. I hope this info helps. Dennis H.