Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Apr 1996 12:20:07 +0100 (BST)
From:         "M. Grant" <mty016@coventry.ac.uk>
Subject:      Re: 71 bus turn signals

On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Scott Beckstead wrote:

> handily that there is no blinking going on. I have another problem that > has vexed me for a while now though. My blinkers inside cease blinking > after a short period. The exterior blinker continues to blink. If i > pull out the emergency blinker switch then turn it off again the interior > lights blink for a short period then quit again. >

Scott

I had the same problem in my bus. The relay used by VW for the indicators/hazard lights was changed around 71/72ish ( I don't know exactly when), but the following is only correct for the earlier type relay.

The black `thing' plugged into your fuse box actually contains two small relays and a few components. (Careful here, the cover isn't designed to be removable). In my case I plugged the coverless board back in to the fuse box, and watched it whilst the indicators were blinking. After a few seconds one relay stopped clicking and so did the dash light.

I tried to get another complete relay box, but the early ones are a stupid price at the dealers and so far I haven't found a working one at a scrap yard. In the end I soldered a link between the two relays and that solved the problem for me, but obviously this is a bit of a bodge I not really to be recommended. If your problem is the relay, getting a new/replacement one is a far better solution.

Good luck,

Marcus '70 bus __ Marcus Grant mty016@coventry.ac.uk