Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Apr 1996 10:49:00 -0500
From:         "bill (w.r.) crick" <crick@bnr.ca>
Subject:      Moaning noise

Someone wrote: >The noise disappears entirely when the bus is taking curves. It only >happens on straights.

>The noise does not care a bit about engine speed. Doesn't matter whether >I'm in fourth or third. But I can make it cycle with the accelerator, >putting it under load and backing off. It's much louder under load.

>I replaced the right rear wheel bearings. If I had to guess, I'd say it's >coming from the rear, and the right wheel had lots of play in it. Lovely >new FAG bearings and seals with lots of slippery grease. Took five hours. >The noise perseveres.

Well I had a similar noise comming from the back of my Tercel up until yesterday. It was _definitely_ coming from the _BACK_. Exactly like you described. After checking back bearings, and brakes, to no avail, changing the FRONT wheel bearing fixed it. Just got it back last night, and coming to work this morning, the silence was deafing. MORAL of the story. Check the front wheel bearings if the noise seems to come from the back??

Bill Crick 76 Type II/IV/VII Summer car. Four wheel driving only. 84 Tercel Winter flyer. Three wheeling 8-0. 95 Camry Wife's car. I hear it is very nice;-)