Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 01 Apr 1996 11:21:00 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      RE: 83 diesel tires...Yes or No.

>Can I put 205/70's on my diesel? Some say sure, some say expect disaster. >I'm confused...yes or no.

Some VW vans offered 205/70R14 tires as options from the factory, so they should fit.

>Can I use a high load rated tire instead of a "reinforced" tire?

Officially no, but lots of people do it, including moi. The V6anagon has 215/75R14s on it, which clear the fenders/suspension fine, and if I keep the tire pressures just right the high-speed handling is excellent.

BUT... if the pressures are a little off, it gets squirrelly, and blows around a LOT in gusty winds. Since the tires are larger than what VW intended, the load ratings are higher, so I'm not much worried there. I just finished a 1,000-mile road trip with six people and luggage, and had zero tire problems (losing the clutch was an unrelated matter).

Steering forces while stopped and/or parking, are pretty heavy, though. I'm told that using reinforced-sidewall tires like that lone Continental you mentioned, would help this a lot. So would getting some exercise, probably. I haven't done either, and it shows.

>Will it handle okay if I do this?

You have to be REAL careful with tire pressures. My 215/75R14 passenger-car tires are rated at 35 PSI max. I had 35 in the rears and 30 in the fronts, and it was kind of squirrelly. Clearly the V6anagon didn't get along too well with these tires. I changed it to 37 rear/ 27 front, and it smoothed out wonderfully, even with 1,000 pounds of people and luggage. Don't try this at home, kids-- I am a professional, and sometimes not quite right in the head, which is a necessary requirement for driving on overinflated tires.

If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the reinforced Michelin 185R14s I've heard of on this list. I've often found that stronger tires have higher permissible max pressure ratings, which allow greater disparities between front and rear-- recommended by VW on the sticker inside the driver's door, and also borne out by experience. With ordinary passenger-car tires, you can't get the differential you need, without either overinflating the rears or underinflating the fronts-- unhealthy in either case.

>Does the "s" in 185/75 sr 14 mean sidewall reinforcement. I don't think >it does but I've been told it does and it doesn't...I'm confused...a guy >at a tire store said it stands for standard.

I hope that guy was a good salesman, because he doesn't know jack about tires. "SR" is the tire's speed rating. It specifies the maximum speed the tire can run continuously, with the max load and pressure specified on the sidewall of the tire, without overheating.

SR = 113 mph HR = 130 mph VR = 150 mph, I think ZR = "greater than 150". No rating letter, like 185R14, means 93 mph.

There are other letters like TR, that I can't remember the speeds for. *Knowlegeable* tire shops can tell you what they are. If you exceed your SR rating for long periods of time, tires will be the least of your problems! :^)

Tires generate heat mostly by the flexing and unflexing of the sidewall as the car rolls onto a given patch of tread and rolls off it while moving forward. The faster you go, the more flexing (obviously), and the more heat you generate. Also, if your tires are underinflated, they'll flex a lot more, generate more heat, and can fail catastrophically. I had that happen on a '69 bus with a slow leak that I was too lazy to get fixed. A front tire went bye-bye on a freeway at 65 mph. If it had been a rear, I probably wouldn't be writing this. It's not a pretty sight.

If I were you, I'd shop around for four Michelin 185R14 *reinforced* tires, and keep that Continental for a spare. Prices seem to vary widely, from reasonable to outrageous, for the same tire. Don't bother with the Road Hazard Warranty unless they throw in free lifetime spin-balancing. Put the pressures into them that VW lists on the sticker inside the jamb of your driver's door, no matter how weird they may seem-- VW had good reason for recommending them. Change pressures only if you have a real good reason like very heavy loading.

Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon w/Chevy 2800 '66 Mustang Coupevertible, for sale

Check out the cars at http://www.lookup.com/homepages/76242/home.html

*** I'm a Native American, born in Illinois. Or does ancestry make a difference after all? *** ---------------------------------------------------------------------