Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Apr 1996 10:36:33 -0700
From:         jim@atcweb.atc.1dc.com (Jim Ellis)
Subject:      Re: Cost of  '67? (serious reply)

-Greg and others, Excuse the rough (attempted humorous) reply but I have been going though a resto for over two years of constant work and am buried in the bus. I have done everything possible to do it correct. It even sounds like the bus I started with was in slightly better shape than what you are starting with. Very seriously, I recommend saving your coin and actually waiting for a dry straight '66-'67 Westy to "pop up" onto the scene. There recently was a '67 Westy poptop advertised on the WWW (Montana) for $3800.00 that was supposedly near perfect. Running and driving. Adjust for what other folks try to pass off as "perfect." Mark L. at the Bus Barn in New Mexico (505) 246-8834 sold a '67 Westy last year to a kid in Phoenix for the $4,000. range w/o motor. I recently saw it at a show. It was very original (minus the replacement motor), very complete and pretty sweet minus a dented driver's door. I figure that the kid is thousands of dollars ahead of me and already on the road. I have seen several '67 Westies come and go during the resto process of our bus. $400.00-$6,500. Even at the top I would have saved tons of time and money in "net costs" if I had nabbed that one. That particluar bus went to Japan. Our Japanese investor/exporter friends don't buy junk.

If you can grab the bus that you have in mind for cheap and as a parts donor then I recommend it. You definitely will need a parts source. Guaranteed.

Otherwise, if you plan on really doing a true "restoration," be prepared for an expensive and rigorous process. I can not say enough about the benefits of starting with a dry, straight bus!!! You of course will save hoards of cash if you happen to be an expert welder, bodyman, painter, engine and tranny builder, electrician, and guru insider exporter of NOS and rarest of the rare parts and vehicles. If you just want to have a running driving fun vehicle you can get by "relatively" inexpensively and count on the usual break-down repairs that most of us go through. Good Luck and best wishes, -ellis aka Rusty VanBondo