Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Apr 1996 13:50:08 -0600
From:         Scott Morrow <smorrow@gbutler.com>
Subject:      Re: building a more powerful v.w. engine.

At 10:38 AM 4/4/96 -0600, you wrote: >I know this isn't incredibly bus related but what the hey. I've been >thinking about buying a '70's standard beetle and building an engine >for it. I was just wondering if I should start looking for a used >1600 or if a later bus engine would bolt up. I want to put in a >cam, larger cyls, pistons, etc. and it would be nice to have the >bottom end of a 1700. how about prices? I imagine it is probably >cheeper and easier to find parts for the 1600. >thanks. >Ed. > I have been in the planning stages of a similar engine buildup for my buggy, using a type IV engine. Plan on spending BIG BUCKS on performance parts for the type IV. Unless you stuck with the stock sizes of pistons and cylinder, expect to pay $300 or more for big bore pistons and cylinders. Cranks can go from $200 on up past $800.(I'd expect the $200 ones aren't a real high quality.) The heads are about the same, maybe a little higher for big valves (not sure about porting). Cams are about twice as much and rods (besides stock) are pretty high dollar. You will then have to convert the type IV to upright, either using custom shrouding (more high dollars) or convert stock parts and type one parts, (like the Next Generation Book shows) which is the way I will go.

Depending on the engine, and cost of the engine, maybe take a 1800cc or 2000cc type IV, leave it stock other than convert to upright. That might be the best way to go for the both of us. Anyway, just my opnion, hope it gives you something to think about. See ya Scott Morrow Kansas City, MO 67 Chopped Drag Bug 74 412 Wagon Fiberglass Buggy smorrow@gbutler.com