Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Apr 1996 15:17:44 -0500
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: 83 diesel tires...Yes or No.

In a message dated 96-03-31 17:05:33 EST, jwmiller@umd5.umd.edu (Miller - James W.) writes:

>This is Jim, I'm confused! Please give me yes or no answers to these >specific questions.

I know you'd like just easy yes & no answers, but some questions cannot be adequately answered with a yes or a no. "Have you stopped beating your wife?" for example.

>Can I put 205/70's on my diesel? Some say sure, some say expect disaster. >I'm confused...yes or no.

This size tire can surely be put on your van, but the real question is can they be put on your van's wheels. A competent tire shop can look up the allowable rim widths for each tire he sells and compare that information to the width of your rim and answer this question. It is likely that you have 5.5 inch wide rims and that 205/70s will fit.

>Can I use a high load rated tire instead of a "reinforced" tire?

Yes, if the load rating is high enough. Get the highest load rating you can find, especially if your van is a Westy.

>Will it handle okay if I do this?

Handling varys alot from one tire model to another. Also, what you percieve as "okay" is totally subjective. The answer is probably.

>Does the "s" in 185/75 sr 14 mean sidewall reinforcement. I don't think >it does but I've been told it does and it doesn't...I'm confused...a guy >at a tire store said it stands for standard.

I think the S initially stood for Steel, as in Steel Radial. Later, this position in the tire number was used for the tire's speed rating. S was good for xx miles/hour, H for xxx miles/hour, V for XXX miles/hour, etc. It has nothing to do with sidewall reinforcement designation.

>I've got four different kinds of tires on my van right now, a 185 xzx, a >continental "reinforced" something or other, and two no name crap tires. >One "good tire is on the back left and the other is no the front right. >My van drives like s**t. Help me buy 4 tires that I can run out and put >on this week. Name the brand you like.

I have the 6" wide alloy wheels on both of my Vanagons, so my tire options might be a bit different than yours. Also, I use my Syncro for occasional off-road use, so the tires that I have on it, may not be a good choice for you.

On my 87 GL Syncro, I have BF Goodrich Radial All Terrain T/A tires in size 27LT-8.5/14. (27" diameter, Light Truck duty)

On my wife's 88 GL Wolfsburg, I have Goodyear Aquatread (the original model, not their newer one) in size 205/70-14. These have a fairly high load rating but are not specially reinforced.

Good Luck,

Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg