Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Apr 1996 14:01:30 -0800 (PST)
From:         Matthew Henricks <mjhenks@engr.csulb.edu>
Subject:      Re: Cost of restoring '67?

I will have to agree with everyone else. it really depends on what work you do yourself and what you farm out. the more you can do yourself the cheaper the project gets.

i just finished a full resto on my 60 crew cab. looking back, if i had farmed out all of the work, i would be into it about twice what it is worth. It is alway's better to start with the straightest, dryest bus you can. body and paint add's up quick. if you can do it yourself, then you have cut about $2000 out of your project. I did that, but i also spent the better part of 4 month's working on it. (it was my full time job for the summer) most people can not do that. If you have ne mechanical know-how, and do not intent to learn, then you will be spending alot in engine, trany and electrical work.

i think the bottom line is: what do you want to end up with What do you want to spend how long do you want to wait to get it.

if you want a nice bus, have no time or money; then buy the one you want. if you are into and up for a big adventure, then go for it. the one thing that i enjoy the most is telling people that "I did it all". that to mee is worth alot. it is my work on my car.

that is just my opinion though.

take care and God Bless matt