Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 05 Apr 1996 02:21:24
From:         EXPRES@gnn.com (RON SALMON)
Subject:      Re: List Stickers

>Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 00:27:06 -0600 >From: stirling@rof.net (James Cohen) >Sender: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu >To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> >Subject: Re: List Stickers > >Oh, I'm sorry, I guess drug use isn't part of the Dead Head culture. I >guess that all the people I've ever known who were "into the Dead" lied >when they talked about all the drugs they took. Nor did kids who wanted to >be part of the the "Dead family" take drugs to really enjoy the experience. >And I guess several close friends of mine from high school didn't screw >their lives up because of their drug influenced invlovement with being dead >heads. I apologize, my mistake. Maybe they drive type IIs down in >Medelline. >

I find your angry diatribe against Dead Heads both offensive and inappropriate for this list. While I am sorry to hear about the close friends to whom you refer, to make sweeping criticism about any large group of people based on experience with a few is nothing more than stereotyping and prejudice. As such, it reveals more about the person who makes such comments than it does about the targeted group.

Based on the higher than average percentage of deadheads who drive Volkswagens, I would guess that there more than a few deadheads, or friends of deadheads, on this list. We all share a love for a common hobby. While the periodic off-the-subject threads provide welcome variety, in my opinion they should be limited to those that are not devisive, political, or may otherwise be offensive to some list members. There are other, more appropriate places for that sort of venting.

-Ron Salmon > > > >