Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Apr 1996 16:21:42 -0800
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Smog check, II, wieght.

Little Martha, my '70 Single Cab, is finally legal! I got the smog check, official wieght and verification of VIN done today and DMV gave me new plates and stickers. I've got insurance, I'm On The Road! I'm also getting about 17mpg :( This for the first tank- just over 200 miles for just over 12 gallons of Chevron 92 Super Unleaded. I hope it improves as the engine loosens up.

Gotta stop trying to stay with 65mph+ traffic too. 60mph would probably help.

Smog Check results: '70 single cab: 1600 sp, 34 PICT, 200 miles on engine. Timing 5 degrees AFTER tdc.

2500 RPM Measured Allowed HC(ppm) 26 (the form printed out had no specs for CO% 0.17 2500 rpm measurements. Note that what I've CO2% 15.2 got would pass the Corrado's 1993 spec! 02% 5.4 Are there any high-rpm specs for old cars?) RPM 2604

First try at idle: HC(ppm) 351 700 PASSED 50% C0% 7.39 6.0 FAILED 123% Too Rich! C02% 10.1 02% 6.8 RPM 1029

After a free leaning-out adjustment by Mr. Chahal:

Second try at Idle HC(ppm) 195 700 PASSED 28% C0% 4.82 6.0 PASSED 80% Mo Bettah. C02% 11.9 02% 11.0 RPM 1051

Both idle measurements were hard to make: the 'exhaust dilution' alarm kept going off, indicating that the exhaust gas flow was allowing burbles of outside air to get up the tailpipe to the sensor input. Mr. Chahal stuffed a rag part-way up the tailpile to block this back-flow. I'm using the single $39.00 BugPack muffler with my extractor pipes.

I also went to the official wieght station and can tell you that my single cab wieghted in at 2600 lb, with 1/4 tank of gas and no passengers. There was a pair of old sheets of plywood in the back, as a bed-liner.

Here's a comparison of the bus versus my Corrado:

'70 SINGLE CAB '93 CORRADO 1600 sp 34PICT 2800 VR6 FI 2500 RPM 2500 RPM Measured Allowed Measured Allowed HC(ppm) 26 ? 12 220 5% of spec! CO% 0.17 ? 0.06 1.2 5% of spec! CO2% 15.2 15.1 02% 5.4 0.3 RPM 2604 2410

Idle pass/fail HC(ppm) 195/351 700 12 100 C0% 4.82/7.39 6.0 0.00 1.0 C02% 11.9/10.1 15.1 02% 11.0/6.8 0.3 RPM 1051/1029 702 Timing 5 degrees after TDC 6 degrees before tdc.

Wow, the quality of combustion in the Corrado is MUCH better- mostly due to the catalyst I'll bet. The lean-out adjustment resulted in much more O2 in the bus exhaust, while also slightly raising C02, AND lower unburned hydrocarbons.

So how come the sum of C02 and O2 and C0 are different percentages for the Bus and Corrado??

I like how the Corrado HC, CO2 and O2 numbers are the same at both RPMS. It passed w/o adjustment. This is after 3 years and 56,000 miles. I also like how good the combustion at 2500 rpm is in the bus.

I'd say power-robbing smog equipment works pretty well... :) 23 years of engineering progress in action... It makes me want to try bolting a catalyst on the extractor before the muffler.

Cheers, Bill