Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Apr 1996 14:11:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Rainer Heller <rainer@geophys.washington.edu>
Subject:      85Vanagon, cooling system

We have a problem with our dear 85 Vanagon. It overheats. This is what we observe:

There is a leak in the rear heater. We change that plastic bleeding screw and the severe leaking stops. But there still is a bit of leaking. Heater core?

When we unbleed the cooling system following the procedure in the Bentleys the car runs fine for a while. But then the system pushes liquid out and into the overfill tank (the tank behind the license plate). Well, if there's too much pressure in the system that is what is supposed to happen, but the liquid doesn't get sucked back in and there is air in the system. That then leads to overheating. This phenomenon now happens very fast, we can't really drive the car any more. If somebody out there has an idea what we could do or how we could systematically find the mistake, we'd be the most grateful people in Seattle! Somewhere air must get in or do we do the unbleeding in a wrong way? We only have a vague idea of how exactly the cooling system works, like what are the pressures in the system, if you go at 2000 rpm you apparently change the pressure to some different value, what is the function of the bleeding valve in the engine compartment (it says to open and close it somewhere during the procedure and we do it but don't know why, nothing comes out there). Are there any tricks while unbleeding the system that we are missing. Maybe we don't get all of the air out and then when the coolant gets warm that air expands more than the liquid, the pressure pushing liquid into the overfill tank ... Maybe air gets in through a leak l....

Need help...

Rainer and Corey 85 Vanagon