Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Apr 1996 12:42:09 +0500
From:         cetin@seas.bellcore.com
Subject:      Serens moving to Pittsburgh

Hello Vanatics...

Yes, the decision was made, and the Seren family is moving to Pittsburgh. I've told my soon-to-be employer that I accepted their offer, and told my co-workers here at bellcore that I will be leaving.

It is with deep regret that we must leave our friends here at the Eastern end of the state. However, we decided that, rather than looking back after ten years and regretting not having given this opportunity a shot, we'd like to be able to say that we gave it a try. Hopefully it will turn out to be a good decision.

Soon (May 1st) I start my weekly haul from Bethlehem, PA to Pittsburgh and back. The bulk of the Seren Family will move after the end of the school year, and once we've decided where to live, school districts and all. Once we're settled, of course, then we will be able to welcome our Vanagon list friends, and we hope we will get plenty of visits from them.

O.K., the Vanagon Content: I'll be making this 600 mile round trip every weekend. I plan to use the '87 for the trip. Even though the '87 logs about 500 miles/week currently, and has not given me any major problems yet, it nearly has 128,000 miles on it, and my streak of good luck may not last forever. I need to compile a list of shops that I can turn to in case of trouble. I am a AAA plus subscriber, so I can get the Vanagon towed for free up to 100 miles at a time. Since the one-way trip is 300 miles, I need to find 3 or 4 mechanics at approximately equal intervals along the road. This will enable me to get the vanagon towed to the nearest 'trusted' mechanic for free in case of trouble. I'll be taking the I-78 West-> I-81 south-> Turnpike West route and back. I'll appreciate any pointers I get from any of you for good mechanics along this route. I also need to get a list of good reliable VW (wasserboxer) mechanics around Pittsburgh, North Allegheny, Beaver county areas.

Any and all help appreciated...

Thanks, Cetin

BTW, some of you may know my new employer: FORE Systems. I checked the vanagon mailing list, and there's no one from FORE in this list -- I hope this is not a bad omen :-)