Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Apr 1996 02:26:43 -0400
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Results from a compression test.

and Brett wrote:

I finally got around to giving my '77 westy a compression test. I took it off the road in December due to a steady loss of power (it was maxing out at around 5 mph in the end). The compression test read 110# for cylinders 1 and 2. 0# for cylinders 3 and 4. I must say that a while back (in time not miles) the previous owner had a shop give it a tune up where they got the compression to go from approximately 0# in cylinders 3 and 4 to 50# with a valve adjustment. Well back to my compression test. After squirting oil in the cylinders, there was no increase in compression. I have some ideas of what is wrong, but I would like to have "your" expert opinions on what the trouble probably is and what I should do to correct it. I know very little about the history of this bus but it does have a 2 liter FI engine (I think it is the original).

Thanks, Brett

PS. When checking oil level I noticed what appears to be an incredibly fine metal particles in it. It sort of has a matallic glint to it. I can feel no grittyness in it though. I don't remember seeing any metal on my last oil change only 700 miles ago. What gives? ---------

your engine........it's giving out.

this is rediculously low. Compression should all be above 100, and within 15 from highest to lowest. My 2 litre engine had 130-140 all round when it was put in the bus used - this is higher than normal for a 1600.

check the oil with a magnet to see if the 'shavings' are steel.

with bad rings the compression goes up when you squirt oil down the plug hole. evidently there is something else going on.

and yes, valves way out of adjustment will give you a nil compression reading.

good luck