Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Apr 1996 21:43:58 -0500
From:         brigstoc@astral.magic.ca (John & Dianne Brigstocke)
Subject:      Re: What's a Pilot Bearing? ('88)

Just finished replacing clutch, T/O bearing, pilot bearing while in there doing trans repair. Tim gave some sorely needed advice and encouragement. The pilot bearing from VW was only $6.50 CDN !! - that was a surprise. The clutch disk was less than 50% worn measuring against replacement lining depth to top of rivet heads. Km was at 240,000. So predicted possible mileage could have been as high as 500,000 km - but T/O bearing was dry and noisy, pilot bearing still ok so replacement would have happened before lining worn out. As for use, I tow a sailboat occasionally, canoe on top often and bikes on back and sometimes all together! but clutch life probably more depends on how much slip is used on take up.

So first clutch replacement at 205,000 km sounds reasonable but 50 Kkm is definitely not. Mainshaft damage may have been due to failed pilot bearing - cause who knows? (Pilot bearing is small needle bearing pressed into center of end of crankshaft that carries tip of mainshaft - it is lubed with grease on assembly and only turns when clutch is not fully engaged)