Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Apr 1996 07:58:26 -0400
From:         Remuse@aol.com
Subject:      No start solution

Well, I took the easy way out and solved the periodic no start problem by swapping in a rebuilt starter, $70. Self esteem and confidence is soaring now that I no longer have to plan trips only to "friendly" places about town in order to anicipate temporary abandonment.

Being a Vanagon of several PO's, it naturally wasn't without surprise. First bolt came out easy as you please. The hidden bolt was a different story. Lying on my back with the trans in my embrace and feeling for the second bolt, I realize the same 14m socket isn't going to fit. "Why would the chermans do that?" In fact, it takes a 19m wrench since a socket no longer has room to fit between the starter and the larger bolt head. !/4 turn, flip the wrench and repeat til done or thoroughly phissed or both.

I assume that some PO had managed to strip the threads and opted for a larger bolt rather than an insert. That necessitated opening the hole on the flange a bit and filing down a bump on the case that interfered with the larger bolt head. I managed to duplicate the sins of the PO perfectly and now all works well.

BTW, although I refer to a PO, I'm of the opinion that Vanagons in general are new enough that a lot of the shoddy work that is attributed to PO's is in fact the product of half-assed or cheating "professionals" that have been paid for their work. Vanagons are in a different class (stepchild) and pros, never mind VW, just hate 'em. I believe they do whatever is necessary to get the things out of their shop, particuarly if the work is hidden from sight.

My apologies in advance if this runs counter to anyones notion of the "profession".

Weston