Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Apr 1996 22:25:16 -0500
From:         vwbus@TCPBBS.COM
Subject:      Re: 83 diesel tires...Yes or No.

VD>My favorite is the Sumitomo HTR70 185/70 HR14 for the bus. There are other VD>tires, but for the size that you need, this one fits the bill. The sidewall

I've been running Sumitomo HTR4's on the Corrado and like them as well, but on a bus I'd be a little leary. Although H raters do indeed have stiff sidewalls, stiffer than most C load rangers if you subjectively feel them, typically they carry only a 36 psi max inflation and 1450 lb load rating at best. It is not until you step up to a V or Z in a performance tire that you get a 44 psi inflation rating. Still I know some on this list indeed swear by these on vans but I am skeptic to change when as I will frequently remind, Tire Rack sells the reinforced Conti 185R14 for $54 each, just seems darn hard to beat to me. BTW Sumitomo is indeed quite reputable and is in fact the parent company of Dunlop now days. I would rec their performance tires to anyone, the HTR 4's have gone 25k on the Corrado which is unheard of as it was eating Z raters every 13k or so. I noticed no perceptible loss in adhesion dry and gains wet over the Toyo Proxes Z1's I had been running before. Plus they were supposed to have a 60k treadlife warranty I never expected to see and am going to get some back on a new front set because of it. Good tires, good bargain, for a bus, I don't know.

John vwbus@tcpbbs.com