Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Apr 1996 12:10:45 -0400
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Oil temp

Yes. The engine is designed to work best within a certain temp range. If the engine is too cool then all the variously carefully clearenced engine parts won't expand properly causing excessive wear-and more. Any good oil cooler (I would think) should have a pressure relief valve or something to prevent the oil from flowing through it when the temp is too cool. ------

I met a guy who had done this. He lived on the east side of the sierras, near Yosemite, wher it freezes all winter ands bakes all summer. The oil cooler was mounted on top of the bus (?!) and i dont remember if it was a hand switch or automatic to route the oil to the cooler or not. It was a painted up 62 or 63 23-window.

nice guy too, I saw his shop (hey looks - old vws!) called Marginal Mechanical . coming back to california from Grateful Dead tour one summer in Gus, the 59 bus, and he gave me a couple oil pan nuts, which had fallen off somewhere. I remembered the oil cooler, but not that it was a 23 window.

When i was back in the area, and suddenly needed old bus parts, I visited him again, and he helped out, providing a replacement for the bent trailing arm. :) "there's an old front suspension out back, you can take off it what you need"

clara