Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Apr 96 09:29:49 -0400
From:         Dave Mancuso <Mancuso@etown.k12.pa.us>
Subject:      This could happen to you....(a little long)

..if you're as dumb as I am.

I'm driving down to Johns Hopkins to class yesterday (between Baltimore and Washington--I live in York, PA, a two hour drive), and the alternator and OXS lights begin to flicker. I stare at them increduluosly for about 20 miles, thinking, "Why both? This must be a strange electrical problem. It just doesn't make sense." and etc. About 25 miles down the road, as I'm looking at the lights, they go off. Instantly. Both of them. So I just chalk it up to the whims of the VW gods. But as I approach the campus, the lights come back on again. I check the belt, and it's fine (old, but fine). I go to class, and come back out again at 8pm. I start up the van, and get the same lights. I decide to just drive for home to PA and see what happens. It's dark now so I have to use the headlights. I figure if the alternator is really bad, my lights will fade relatively quickly. After a half hour, I see no change. So I turn on the stereo and crank it up, and figure I'll look at this strange problem tomorrow. I make it around the Baltimore beltway and get on 83 North to PA. My first strange indication of trouble: a few miles from the PA line, I'm using cruise control and I try to change lanes. When I put the turn signal on, the cruise cuts out. I experiment with this for a minute. Hmmmm. That's odd. Then, I notice that the turn signal no longer blinks. And the hazard switch won't blink either. and then the lights begin to turn really dim (stop laughing). So I turn off the stereo I've been blasting and turn down the instrument panel lights (like that'll really do anything). I think "If I can just make it home, I'll work on it in the morning." I notice several interesting things at this point. the water temp gauge reads really low. So does the gas gauge. As the power goes down, so do the gauges. Oddly, the tachometer also goes down (I didn't know the tach was electrical; I thought it was mechanical, like the speedometer). I notice I've unconsciously begun to go faster, as if by driving 70 mph I'll recharge a dying system. Then, it happens: a few hundred yards before the PA border, I lose all pwer of mobility. The van just got too tired to go on. "Dave, you go on without me. I've just...got...to ....rest.." So I turn on the cell phone (lucky it has its own battery) and called AAA (that bone of contention among list members). I volunteered to push the van across the state line if it would be a problem (there was much discussion of this in the background--but I think it was because they weren't sure exactly where I was, and couldn't understand that I was right _at_ the state line). In about 25 minutes, the tow truck arrived. I used the time to check connections, etc. They tow truck guy jumped it, but still the lights were on. We loaded up the van and started for home. The tow truck was great. It had a double cab, and I had the back all to myself (the guy's girfriend, or maybe his administrative assistant, rode in the front). It felt like I was in the limousine of tow trucks. It pulled the van like a toy (he said it had a diesel 450 in it, or something like that. I didn't tell him the displacement of the Vanagon, to save further embarassment). When we pulled up to my house, my wife freaked, because of course I hadn't thought to call her and tell her what was up (this big truck with yellow flashing lights pulls up to your house with your husband's van--where is he?). So now Kalypso is home resting comfortably, and I'm looking for a new alternator. The only question I have is why did the OXS light come on as well? Seems a bit fishy to me, and the Bentley manual doesn't tie them together. Unless a short somewhere else has drained the system and caused these lights to go on. I'll get the alternator, but test the system as per Bentley before replacement, I guess.

Thanks for reading, Dave

Dave Mancuso Mancuso@etown.k12.pa.us Mancuso@aol.com (Checked rarely)

"I guess we'll just have to burn that bridge when we get to it..."

'87 Westy (Kalypso)