Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         1 Apr 96 23:39:00 +1800
From:         GOLDBERG_DAVID@mpd.tandem.com
Subject:      re: Price on '74 Thing?

West asked:

>I'm sure there are some Thing owners around, could I get an >opinion on the value of this thing from you?

OK

>It's a white convert.

Not bad

>well used but it's had some care. Engine runs but needs replaced,

would you care to elaborate. What means replaced, would rebuilt suffice?

>I'd give the paint about a 98% being all there . Some rust, light >stuff that needs a wire brush and primer.

Not too bad for a 22 yo car.

>I don't think the guy has a top.

Does he have a hard top at least?

>I've not yet done an inspection.

Highly recommended

>I've seen it on the road and talked to the guy on the phone. Like >what kind of engine is in those from factory?

If I am not mistaken they had 1600dp

>Are these things Kewl?

There is the understatement of the year. IMHO they are the coolest things (pun intended) on the road today.

Based on the available info I would say $1500 is excellent, no, better than excellent, awesome. If he has a hard top, and the engine is in rebuildable condition I'd say up to $3000 would not be out of the question. A guy was selling one here in Austin for $5000. It took a few weeks but I believe it was sold at that price. Try to talk him down from any price he asks, especially if he doesn't know what he has. If he is firm on a price, think it over. Thing specific parts(there really aren't that many) are relatively expensive, so use that as a barganing tool when negotiating.

When checking for rust definately look under the floor mats. People tend to think that Things can be rained on with no problems. Also check under the windscreen. They can fold down flat, he may have had it down, and it rained, and he put it up with water trapped under the frame.

I say go for it, one doesn't get the opportunity to acquire a Thing, as often as bugs,busses, or ghias, and you will get far more attention in one, than the others.

Now if I could obtain a Bug Vert, and a Ghia Vert for the same price I got my Thing for (free) I would be one happy camper.

Cheers,

David 74 Thing 79 Westy

------------ ORIGINAL ATTACHMENT -------- SENT 03-31-96 FROM SMTPGATE (khooper%wsp1.wspice.com@tzone)

>I rented a CV clamp tool from my FLAPS, but all I have managed to do is >Mangle one of the circlips. Exactly how should i go about removing these >durned things? Am I using the wrong tool?

The correct tool is a pair of "backwards" pliers. When you squeeze them, they open, and they have serrations on the outside instead of the inside of the jaws. This is also the correct tool for putting the spacers on the crankshaft. I have no idea where you get a pair of these pliers or I would have some. ;)

I have got those circlips off using a pair of sharp needlenose pliers spreading out and a sharp screwdriver lifting up. It takes three hands. It helps to file the "backs" of the points of the pliers so they can hang on to the circlip. Cut a notch in them about a sixteenth of an inch down from the point.

--Ken '71 Bus, '68 Westy

------------ ORIGINAL ATTACHMENT -------- SENT 04-01-96 FROM SMTPGATE (m.radtke%elm.az05.bull.com@tzone)

Or, instead of a roll pin, you can just drill the hole out right through the top. The material is actually metal, not plastic. Then replace the stud with a bolt. Both my mirrors eventually failed and were permanently fixed this way.

Mike '84