Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Apr 96 11:44:47 PDT
From:         Brian M. Miller <miller@spk.hp.com>
Subject:      Looking for EGR parts

I have an 80 vanagon from which a previous owner removed the EGR system. I would like to restore EGR because, thanks to this group of vanophiles, I now realize that my engine will run cooler and last longer with a fully functioning EGR system. It will also help me stay out of trouble with the EPA (Spokane,WA is on the EPA's list of worst cities and the emissions inspections grow more rigorous every year).

The problem is that most of the EGR components are no longer available. I am on shaky ground here because I have never seen the EGR system, but I believe I need to obtain: -EGR control valve -EGR filter -small exhaust tube which connects the control valve to the filter -linkage rod between control valve and throttle -gaskets

The dealer can provide the filter ($$) and linkage rod, but not the control valve or exhaust tube, and I didn't ask about the gaskets.

Help! Where can I get a control valve? I think the valve is the most critical component. I MIGHT be able to get the exhaust tube fabricated by a good muffler shop. And I can buy the filter. But I would rather find the filter and tube out of a junkyard or other source.

Does anyone know of a good junkyard to try? Does anyone know of someone parting out an aircooled vanagon? Other possible sources?

Brian Miller miller@spk.hp.com