Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Apr 1996 13:24:04 -0700
From:         dlytle@as.arizona.edu (Dyer Lytle)
Subject:      strength-through-joy car

As many of you no doubt already know this, please forgive me for repeating the obvious but I found it interesting.

I'm reading the book "Small Wonder", a history of the Volkswagen written in the '60s. I found it interesting that when Adolf Hitler layed the cornerstone of the factory at (what would later be called) Wolfsberg in ~1938, he pronounced that the new volksauto that had been designed by Porsche would be called the KdF-wagen. KdF is an acronym for a german group at the time whose name translated as "strength-through-joy". This group was supposed to keep the German people happy through various forms of entertainment including, in Hitler's mind, the chance to own a personal automobile.

Of course, a lot of people, including Porsche, didn't like the name and people continued to just call it Volkswagen, but the official name at the beginning was the strength-through-joy car instead of people's car.

I recommend this book, "Small Wonder", to anyone interested in VWs and history. I found it at a used book store last week for $1. Sorry, I don't have the book with me and can't remember the name of the author. I'm sure a number of people on this mailing-list can supply the author and ISBN #.

(I haven't gotten to the parts about Ben Pon and the transporter yet...)

Cheers,

-Dyer

------------------------ Dyer Lytle dlytle@as.arizona.edu HST NICMOS Project Steward Observatory University of Arizona ------------------------