Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Apr 1996 22:43:34 GMT
From:         debug@wku.campus.mci.net (Doug Skinner)
Subject:      Re: Fwd: FAQ

On Thu, 11 Apr 1996 17:49:20 -0500, you wrote:

>I am new to the list and new to VW Vanagon's. I want to purchase a used >Vanagon in the next six months. I prefer a passenger van, but am tempted by >the camper vans. What do I need to know/look for? I notice that many >Vanagon's that are over 8 years old have rebuilt engines. Is this normal? > What kind of mileage should I expect from a vanagon? Any body out there >have a Eurovan? Should I choose that over the Vanagon? Help. > >-Demian Barnett > >PS: What do all the different types mean (i.e. GL, Westfalia, Synchro, etc.) > Well, just like any other used vehicle, you need to consider the general condition of the vehicle, the number of prior owners (the more owners, the more likely I am to pass on the vehicle), the milage, the mechanical condition (have a trusted mechanic check the vehicle for you, preferably one who knows VW's) and last, but certainly not least - your wallet (how much can you afford).

I have a 1985 Vanagon GL with 112K miles on it. I am the second owner and bought mine about 6 years ago. It is still on it's first engine (knock on wood) and hasn't given me much grief at all. It is finally starting to reach the age to where my wife and I need to make a decision about it - was I going to learn how to work on VW's (I am already comfortable with American and British cars) or were we going to sell it and buy a VW Eurovan. After pricing the Eurovans, we decided that we can do lots and lots of work on the Vanagon and still come out ahead (those puppies are expensive!).

As to what the different things after the Vanagon mean (i.e. GL, Westfalia, Synchro, etc), they stand for the following:

The following was borrowed from a message that Joel Walker send me...

however, in the case of the Vanagon, it goes sorta like this: - base model is the Transporter. a work truck. - next up is the Standard. sort of a really cheaply furnished family van (but with a little better interior and/or more features than the work truck). - next up is the L (Luxury?). even better quality interior than the Standard and with more features. - then the top of the line was the GL (Grand Luxury?): cloth seats, chromed everything, air-conditioning, etc. - and then later on, they started with the WLE (Wolfsburg Limited Edition) to put even MORE features (and higher prices) to attract buyers. - and even later, the Multivan and Carat and Weekender and so forth were brought out.

and when the Eurovan came out, they did the same thing, but decided to change all the letters!! now it's CL and MV. go figure.

Doug Skinner from Bowling Green, Kentucky 85 Vanagon GL debug@wku.campus.mci.net