Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Apr 1996 11:38:25 -0500
From:         David E Most <most@gibbs.oit.unc.edu>
Subject:      fuel problem solved

Thanks to all those who wrote to me about the fuel problem I described last week. I couldn't figure anything out, so I took off heading west on I-40. Got some gas in Asheville, started up the engine, and I couldn't go more than about 5 mph. I drove for a couple of miles, and it was getting close to 5pm, so I asked where the VW dealer was. It was on top of a big hill, and I just couldn't make it up. So I sat there parked illegally while these VW mechanics drove by on their way home. I was able to get back on the main road...barely any power left...and I pulled into a camping store. Of course, in the parking lot, there's a guy with a '78 westy attempting to install a GEX engine that he just received. I didn't notice him until after I was committed to pulling into the lot. Unfortunately, he couldn't help me diagnose the problem, but he told me I could camp out there for the night (which I did). The employees at the store were very helpful, and they let me use the phone for a while and gave me some recommendations for people to call. At least one you mentioned the air flow sensor flap, and once I figured out where it was, I was hoping that would be the problem. I pushed it and it seemed to move quite freely, and I was able to compare mine to the other guy's in the parking lot. I thought I'd have to get towed in the morning having only made it 220 miles on my trip.

After spending a restless night thinking about what would happen, I decided just to try starting it up in the morning and see if I could drive it to someone. Of course, it starts right up and drives very smoothly...going up hills and everything. The mechanic says to me, "I can't fix anything if nothing's wrong." Makes sense to me, and I knew that already, but I was hoping that I could figure out something. The people at the camping store told me that I was crazy to drive across Kansas in a bus without AAA.

After hanging around Asheville for a couple of hours trying to decide whether to turn back or keep going west, I decided to burn some fuel heading west, get some gas, and see if the problem would come back. Well, it started happening a bit outside of Kansas City (the slight burping. Then I had to hold the steering wheel as if I was making a right turn for 2 hours while driving down I-70 in Kansas. The wind was blowing consistently from the North and every time I would go under an overpass, my bus would veer toward the wall...reduced my mileage by about a third during that stretch. Also, it was raining hard, 32 degrees, and cold water was dripping on my shoe. I made it through though with all my muscles contracted from the cold.

By the end of the day, I was in Fort Collins, CO from whether this letter is being written. The bus was cruising smoothly at speeds faster than I had anticipated, and it sounded nice at the high altitude. I'm convinced that moving that flap solved the problem even though it didn't feel stuck at all, and I didn't have to call AAA. I Drove about 1500 miles in 36 hours, and everything sounds good.

Just wanted to let ya'll know there was a happy ending.

david '79 westy