Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Apr 1996 10:09:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:         jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu (James Brill)
Subject:      Engine seal gaps

I am full of questions today. I have a question about the engine seal on my '71 bus. I installed a new engine early last fall and it has performed flawlessly since, about 4,000 miles. It is running a little rich as evidenced by the plugs and the soot on the rear bumper. This is a stock 1600DP with a Weber progressive. Mileage is around 20 on the highway and a little less in town. I think it could be better if it weren't running so rich. Valves are set, timing is spot on at 28 degrees at 3,500 rpm, dwell is perfect, etc.

Well, now it is spring in here in Nebraska. This means that last week we had blizzards and the last two days it has been in the 90's. These are the warmest temps the bus has seen and now it seems to running a little too hot. It smells hot and fails the dipstick test. So, I started checking the obvious, nothing in the fan, engine in great tune. What I did find was a half inch gap in the engine seal at the rear corners. It is as if that rear section of the bus could go a half inch further forward but it is exactly where it should be. It sets flush across the back of the bus. So basically it is sucking hot air off of the exhaust pipe for the number 2 and 4 cylinders straight into the engine compartment. The seal was new with the engine and is still soft and pliable. The problem is that when it makes that bend at the rear corners the top piece bunches and pushes up and the bottom piece bunches and pushed down. I never saw the gap until I stuck my hand in there.

So, what to do? My first instinct is to somehow glue the thing to the tin but that would make pulling the engine a pain, and I would have to do it each time. I am wondering if I have the seal installed correctly. It looks like this:

The asterisk represents the half inch gap. Across the back of the engine tin and up the sides the seal lays down flatly against the tin and does the job. When it rounds the corners it bunches and parts from the tin. The other thing I can think of is gluing a gob of some high heat foam type stuff in the gap there. The seal is from WCM. Any other ideas? Thanks, Jim -- James A. Brill Jr. \\ // jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu \\ \\// // If you're not outraged University of Nebraska \\//\\// you're not paying attention. free-lance homo sapien \/ \/