Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Apr 1996 23:29:45 +0000 (MULTINET_TIMEZONE)
From:         tjwalsh@ichange.com (Thomas Walsh)
Subject:      Vanagon no start problem

I've been there done that

My 82 desel Vanagon would give me the intermittent starting problem . It pained me to read about so many people on the list spending so much on this problem with little result . I thought I should pass on my 12 $ repair . I would turn the key and sometimes the starter would just click . I had the starter , alternater , and battery replaced . At one point I was driving cross country and seeing the problem daily . I hooked a trouble light up to the selenoid to see if it turned on each time I turned the key . It always did even thougth the starter would not engage . I even tried running new wires back to the selenoid to eliminate the possibility of a bad wire or connection . Finally I went to the auto parts store and got a plain selenoid , the kind that is mounted on the firewall in cars that do not have the selenoid mounted directly on the starter . I think that it was for some GM car , its not important . I mounted it in the engine compartment, on the side with the starter . I took the wire that energizes the selenoid and hooked up to the terminal on the new selenoid that trips on the relay . I ran heavy gage wire directly from the positive battery terminal to the new selenoid and then out the other terminal to the selenoid on the starter . The van started every time from then on . I think that it must be that the wires going to the ignition switch and back are just be too long and they drop so much voltage the selenoid can't activate the starter .

Let me know if this is of any help to you . I do not subscribe to the list so if this works for you you could pass it along . I would appreciate an explanaton on how to get involved with the Vanagon list . I can see how it could be useful . I used to think I was the only one having these problems .

Thomas Walsh tjwalsh@ichange.com