Date:         14 May 96 02:05:32 EDT
From:         "Linda J. Bartnik" <76065.3075@CompuServe.COM>
Subject:      timing question

Hey all, OK, I have a quick question (maybe) regarding timing. I have a '78 2.0L engine, basically stock except for an "electronic ignition" system which basically replaces the points with an infrared sensor. I checked the timing recently and found it to be a few degrees off of the prescribed 7.5 B?TDC (don't remember right offhand, would have to look in the book for the spec). Anyway, the notch in the pulley is to the left of the red dot on the timing scale at idle, hoses connected, blah blah.

It seems to run fine, I have never noticed any pinging. Should I change it to spec? I run 87 octane gas, the cheaper the better. I'm not in a high altitude area. Would changing it to spec make the car run cooler? Would it's effect be marginal or noticable?

I might as well just set it to spec and see what it does 'cause I can always change it back, but then again I go by if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Whaddya think?

Thanks, Sean