Date:         Tue, 14 May 1996 08:13:58 +0000
From:         churschl@students.wisc.edu
Subject:      Re: '71 With High Brake Effort Fixed!!!

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who responded to my querry about high brake effort. It turned out to be a couple of things. First, the one way valve in the vaccuum line to the booster was cloged. Once I replaced it things were ok for a little while until it sarted pulling right. The wheel was hot from the brake dragging. The car hasn't been driven regularly for about four years so I pulled of the wheels and calipers and cleaned everything up, including some rust on the pads. I moved the pistons around a bit and made sure they were moving freely. That improved things alot. I would'nt be surprised if they started leaking, but so far they don't. Next weekend I'll pull of the drums on the back and have a look.

BTW: I bought the Turtle ('71 Camper) in SC in '88 with 50K miles on it, no rust. Moved to WI in '90, drove it one winter and it did more damage to the car than the the previour 17 years had done. I've stored it in winter ever since. It now has 106K miles on it. I've been to busy with school to even have much time to use it for the last four years of so, but I finally insured it again last week. It feels really great to have it up and running again!!!

Chris

:===============================: : Chris Hurschler : : 632 Wingra St. : : Madison, WI 53715 : : 608-255-5869 : : churschl@students.wisc.edu : :===============================: