Date:         Wed, 22 May 96 07:45:29 CDT
From:         u1a00904@wvnvm.wvnet.edu (David Lamitie)
Subject:      Was 85 Vanagon now 85 GL

Hello again,

Thanks to all who provided the invaluable info about the 85 Vanagons, special thanks to Ron Salmon, Joel Walker, and Chris Tucci-their advice and information greatly enhanced my knowledge.

Before I get on with my new queries I would like to say that as a former 85 Golf owner ( as well as a 71 and 72 Karmen Ghia) I was glad to find out that I wasn't the only one who suffered with bad water pumps, leaking heads and large numbers of CV joints. The Golf was a gem to drive but definitely a money pit of sorts. I must say, however, that I gave it to my brother and he is still going at 160, 000!! ON TO THE VANS>

I went to look at the 85 I asked about the other day and it was gone!! On the way home, however, I found an 85 GL. It's body was in Good/Great shape. The interior will need some cleaning up. It has the "weekender package," ac, and power steering.

The problem areas are those I was informed of. The muffler/exhaust system won't last long and I think that the water pump is all but shot. I let it idle for a few minutes and then took it for a ride. The Temp warning light came on almost right away, bad sign eh? The dealer (it is on a lot) told me not to worry, he was not very knowledgeable about VWs. Anyway, it went off and the needle went down to a good/safe position. When we returned I felt the radiator and it was ice cold, time for a water pump? The coolant was the evil green stuff but on inspection I could find no signs of leaking around the heads, or anywhere else for that matter. The CV Boots looked to be well intact with no signs of cracking or tearing (which caused problems on my Golf) and the suspension and breaks felt great. The steering was tight as well.

Is $3,000 to much to pay for this baby? I've had some estimates on the water pump and exhaust, I think I can get them done for about $800. David Lamitie Graduate History Dept. West Virgina University