Date:         Tue, 28 May 1996 21:50:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:         David Ian Utley <diutley@telepath.com>
Subject:      Free '71 Westfalia.. Should I take the plunge?

Greetings all! Since subscribing a couple of weeks ago I have been considering getting a Wesfalia for myself. I've never had a van at all, although I do at present own an '84 GTi ('85 GTi engine, and management), and a dead '74 Bug. I have a good friend nearby with a 'Westy' parked at his shop. Been there for two years, owner never has claimed it. It was made in 2/72, and has the factory Westfalia option. The tent pops-up in the back, and has some sort of sling as a bed. It's all there, most of it weathered by the sun. Can't have too many miles, no rust underneath, and still has bias-ply tires on it. It was brought there for a new engine, it died sometime in '88. Also, someone has poorly repaired the front end, as it has small gaps around the windshield where rust has settled in, and a few spots around the headlights. It was also painted an uglier than sin blue-metallic, even on the top! Anyway, it will need the following: 1) New engine (yep, T-1) 2) New tent fabric (are these still available? If so where, and how much?) 3) New rubber, here, there, and everywhere 4) New fabric throughout interior (yellow vinyl is not cool anymore) 5) New Tires (doesn't even need to be brought up!) 6) Whatever else we discover while trying to fix it.

Now, I ask you T-2, T-4, Vanagon, and Synchronauts a question: Is it worth all this? I am a student, and it would obviously take a while before this would be fully functional, much less sellable if I needed to get out from under it. I realize that it has front disc brakes which are valuable, as well as it is inexpensive to rebuild a T-1 motor to the alternatives. I would prefer a Vanagon Westy if I had my choice, but it would probably be free. What do you think? I would like to hear any insights that any of you may be able to offer me. Your attention is appreciated.

David Ian Utley

Incidentally, I can get myself parts at a discount for obvious reasons.

Original Equipment Marketers

Serving owners of Volkswagens, Porsches and AUDIs with Original Equipment parts at Disccount Store Prices. We will Meet or Beat Anyones Prices.

diutley@telepath.com.....405-364-2102