Date:         Tue, 14 May 1996 05:45:44 -0500
From:         dschimpf@fdl.fdldotnet.com (David Schimpf)
Subject:      signing off for a month

Before I sign off for a month, I want to let the list know how much I appreciate the helpfulness and the information I gain from you-all. I tell my colleagues how the list exemplifies the best of the internet. You're a great group of folks!

I'll be in Belgorod, Russia (near Kursk, site of the largest tank battle in history as part of the "Great Patriotic War") for a month as part of an exchange program our college has with the state pedagogical institute there. It's not the kind of place where many Americans have been. It'll be interesting to see whether there are any buses (our Russian professor seems to think I might see some). Imagine a picture of a splittie near St. Basil's!

When I get back, I'm finally going to get around to getting our 74 bus going. All I need to do this summer is teach two classes, apply for tenure, reacquaint myself with my family, and fix up the bus. We're talking about replacement of a cylinder head, extensive body work (mostly dents, but serious ones), and basic maintenance. I also might have a line on two early 70s buses. You'll be hearing from me...

David Schimpf