Date:         Tue, 14 May 1996 09:14:00 -0400
From:         "bill (w.r.) crick" <crick@bnr.ca>
Subject:      Extra air pipe outlet? Secret battery door?

>OK so since Amercans sometimes like to think of Canada as the 51st state... >?Does that mean I have a chance too? That's OK, some of us think of the States as the 11th province gone bad;-)

Now to the ObVW: My van, a 76 Type II has two approx 2" diameter air pipe outlets right at the back of the engine, one on either side of the cooling fan grill. The right one goes to the air intake 'Nose', and I am assuming this has a thermostatically controlled flap to draw in warmed air when the engine is cold, much like the one coming from over the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner on a typical older NA car. The other outlet doesn't have anything connected? What is it for? If it has no purpose, should it be left open or plugged?

Got the van back out from winter storage Saturday. Put in the battery; Bug Bug Bug Bug Bug Bug Bug Bug Bug Bug Blugh! Bug Bug Bug Bug Bug Bug Bug Bug Bug Bug Vroom, tick, tick tick tick. Amazing!

Bill Crick 76 Type II/IV/VII Ottawa Canada

PS: OK, where is the secret door that allows you to easily install the battery without taking the air intake off, and squeezing it through bent path that is slightly smaller than the battery;-) ?