Date:         Tue, 14 May 1996 08:14:35 -0700
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@halcyon.com>
Subject:      RE: Oil cooler hose replacement

---------- >From: SCurtis269@aol.com[SMTP:SCurtis269@aol.com] Sent: Monday, May 13, 1996 8:21 PM

Then they proceeded to tell me that replacing hose(s), do both while in there, and filling/bleeding the cooling system would be 5 hours in labor at $54.00/hr. At this point I picked my jaw up off of the floor. I tried to have the service manager explain to me why it was soo much labor when I can clearly see both ends of the hose and the hose clamps. His response was that the oil cooler had to be removed to replace the hoses that run to it. He went on to say that it was in a tight area, which I agreed, and hard to work on. He also said that filling and bleeding the coolant was about 1 - 1 1/2 hours worth.

1 to 1.5 hours to fill and bleed coolant is about right.

So here is my question(s), Is 5 hours labor reasonable to do this repair or did the dealer have $$ dancing in his head ? Has anyone done this repair themselves, and if so how complicated is it ? I do have some basic tools with me and could buy what I don't have.

I don't know what's involved in replacing these hoses. I wouldn't be suprised if the oil cooler does have to be removed.

On bleeding the coolant system, How difficult is this procedure ? I'm kind of paranoid about doing this. Have heard lots of horror story's about bleeding the coolant systems on these engines.

I would not recommend taking this on yourself if you haven't done it before. You have to lift the front of the vehicle 16 inches (or is it 19?) to get the air bubbles to percolate to the radiator. It's best done with a helper as you have to rev the engine while bleeding.

Sounds like they have you by the short hairs. My advice is to be nice to them, see if you can wrangle a deal. Like maybe charge you for actual labor instead of book labor if it takes less than 5 hours. If the job is not done properly, you risk damaging your van.