Date:         Tue, 14 May 1996 14:27:27 -0400
From:         David E Most <most@gibbs.oit.unc.edu>
Subject:      new problem re: head replacement

Thanks to all for the advice regarding replacing the heads on my '79 westy. Unfortunately, after driving this morning for a few minutes and letting the bus sit for about an hour, I have been unable to get the engine to start again. It turns over and speeds up when I depress the accelerator, but it isn't catching. For the last few weeks (perhaps coinciding with the lower compression in cyclinder #1), I have had to give it gas to get it started. But, it always did get started.

Could the compression have suddenly gotten worse making it unable to start? I have checked for spark and checked all the hoses and everything seems ok, and as I said, it started up fine this morning. It looks like I'll have to have it towed somewhere, and if it is something to do with the low compression that's causing the inability to start, I suppose I'll have to be prepared to have the same shop do the head replacement job.

By the way, the fuel filter is new, and the tank is full (filled up last night). As I'm writing this, I'm thinking maybe funky gas???? It took 12 gallons of fuel last night.

Well, any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, if the heads need replacement, how do I convince the garage to use Mark STephens heads instead of something from a different source?? Some mechanics aren't to flexible in this regard.

Thanks again.

david