Date:         14 May 96 15:00:42 EDT
From:         "Linda J. Bartnik" <76065.3075@CompuServe.COM>
Subject:      gas smell fixed?

Hey all, Today I bit the bullet and pulled the firewall on my '78. It turned out to be not too difficult.

I removed the charcoal canister (mine's in a weird place), the decel valve, the voltage regulator, the series resistance block and double relay, the air cleaner/intake air sensor and that flexible rubber boot that connects the intake air sensor to the throttle body. Also took out the batter since I was in there anyway and filled it up and put a charge in it.

On my bus there were only the six screws in the engine compartment to deal with and the firewall came right off. Looking inside, I could see the holes for the two screws underneath but they were not installed on my car.

Pulled the firewall back and let it rest agains the heater blower and examined my gas tank. Dusty! I didn't see any gasoline tracks in the dust, the elbow that connects the filler pipe and the tank seemed to be in good shape and was sealed with what looked like silicone, looked pretty leak free. Probably has been replaced before. Looked newish. I replaced the four 7-mm hose vent tube connections, two on the tank and two where the yellow plastic tubes connect with the metal tubes that go into the air scoops. Was kind of a pain, but I think it was worth it. They looked kinda old and possibly leaky so maybe that's where the smell was coming from. Hopefully the new hoses will stay on there 'cause I don't really want to do that job again unless I have to.

Put everything back together and re-hooked up all vacuum hoses, etc, and the thing started before it could even turn over once. I love fuel injection :) .

Not a bad job, took maybe around 3 hours total including a break for lunch, fairly straightforward.

Next time I fill up, I'll let you all know if the gas smell is gone.

Sean