Date:         Tue, 14 May 1996 20:16:23 -0400
From:         Ryan75@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Vanagon spoiler

>> Hello volks, and the usual to the point. My question is about Vanagon front >> spoilers. Will a spoiler from later Vanagon fit an 82 model? Would major >> modifications need to be made to install the part? Thanks!

>Perhaps I'm thinkin' of somthing vastly different than what you're >calling a spoiler... >But does your vanagon really have good enough aerodynamics and go fast >enough to cause lift?

Although I don't know if a later model spoiler will fit, I do know that some sort of spoiler/air dam will have a positive effect on the handling of the vehicle (less lift under the front end). Yes, it does increase frontal area a bit, but the handling improvements at speed are worth it. Just think of a stock-based racing car. Flared fenders, deep air dam, monster spoiler on the back, etc. Sure it adds a bit of drag, but the benefits outweigh the downside.

The only problem I found was the lack of ground clearance. My '84 was lowered a bit, running on 185/70R14 (instead of 185R14) tires and had an aftermarket spoiler on the front end. I loaned the vehicle to my mother for a 300 mile trip, and on the first driveway she encountered she managed to rip the spoiler clean off of the car, and this was less than 10 minutes after she left. Great.

Ryan