Date:         Tue, 14 May 1996 22:53:42 -0500
From:         vwbus@TCPBBS.COM
Subject:      Re: 12-point tool

S SY>So much for your last word. I've had both the 12 point fasteners and the SY>standard allen head fasteners on CVs on VWs that have owned. I would not SY>necessarily assume that a particular VW is equipped with one or the other.

Our '86 van had the triple square, my new '85 has hex, the '77 triple square, the '78 hex, and of course any of these could have been changed by a PO at any time, go figure. All FWD VW's we've owned have been similarly mixed.

Here is a very personal preference, on the '77 I changed back to grade 12.9 hex heads I bought locally for $0.20 each, the reason. Although indeed the triple square is much harder to round out if impeccably clean, I find it far easier to pick the grease, dirt, crap, out of the hex head and can always get a better solid fit quickly with the regular allen. Never rounded one out on a CV yet, you simply must clean em out carefully bang the 6mm allen in with a good hammer tap and you're set. BTW K-D tools make a good quality triple square as well, brobably a bit cheaper than that "gold-plated" Snap-On.

John vwbus@tcpbbs.com