Date:         Tue, 14 May 96 23:59 EDT
From:         raulb@iglou.com (Raul Barreras)
Subject:      Re: Vanagon spoiler

> >On Tue, 14 May 1996, Raul Barreras wrote: > >> Hello volks, and the usual to the point. My question is about Vanagon front >> spoilers. Will a spoiler from later Vanagon fit an 82 model? Would major >> modifications need to be made to install the part? Thanks!

>sstones@io.org added:

---snip--- >But does your vanagon really have good enough aerodynamics

Of course not! That's the reason for wanting to install the part.

> and go fast enough to cause lift?

Yep, I put a Porsche 6 cyl engine and cruise at 110mph. ;-)

It is not a pleasant feeling when a strong gust hits the front and the vehicle sways. I don't like this at all. Even the engineers at VW thought about it and installed these suckers in later models. For looks? I don't think so!

MY VANAGON, sits higher in the front and I disagree about the box effect due to the fact that above the grill it is quite sloped. The part I feel that is missing is the spoiler. I wish to have better control of the vehicle at higher speeds, 65mph and hopefully the spoiler will help in this matter. If a gust hits the vehicle at the indicated speed, my hopes are that the vehicle will lower and the drag will increase thus reducing the swaying. Since I'm told that all I need is to drill a few holes, there wouldn't be any real permanent damage to the vehicle which was another concern.

I appreciate the answers and sent a message to one of you about selling me the part. If anyone else wants to get rid of one of these animals, just send me $19.98 and the spoiler. I will definitely appreciate it very much! ;-)

=================================================== Raul Wilma (1982 Westfalia) Larsen (1956 Microbus)

"I take credit for nothing and disclaim everything" ===================================================