Date:         Wed, 15 May 1996 14:39:01 +1000 (EST)
From:         Ian Hallett <halleti@agric.nsw.gov.au>
Subject:      Re: Removing Rear Springplate (revision!)

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Jim Ellis wrote:

> In addition to the previously posted steps and methods, I highly suggest > that the relationship between the parts (springplate, torsionbar, and axle > tube) be marked with a skinny grease pencil or white model paint/ white > fingernail polish prior to removing the pieces. This may not guarantee that > the original relationship is preserved but will certainly be better than > starting from scratch when resetting the torsion on reassembly.

Jim,

I remembered the advice to do this, AFTER I had removed the torsion bar and spring plate.

Bently says the spring plate should sit at a 23 degree angle to horizontal. Because I didn't mark the position of the spring plate I will have to break out the spirit level and the protractor. I don't have one of those bubble protractors shown in Bently.

My real problem, and the reason for the sag in my rear end, is a crack in the right rear torsion bar. The paint on the torsion bar was peeling off. The surface of the bar had a lot of rust pitting (sp?). I started to clean up the bar to repaint it and when I got to the last bit (of course) I noticed the crack. It is about 1/2" long and about 4" away from the outside end of the bar, at an angle of about 45 degrees and I can see hairline cracks running along the bar from each end of the crack. The crack has opened up about 1/8" in the middle.

I am now on the track of a red torsion bar. There are three wreckers in this town and each has a kombi in it, one has two. None are the same model as mine, three are earlier and one is later. I have a '72 model with rectangular tail lights and the low front blinkers, but I know that my chassis is about 1" wider than the earlier bay window VWs. I had one wrecker pull a torsion bar (after I explained to his man how to do it) from a later model (high squarish front blinkers) and the bar was green. I have now asked another one to pull a bar from an earlier bay window (oval tail lights), again after I showed him how to do it. I will have to wait to see what colour the bar is.

I know that I can get one from Sydney for $35 plus freight ($15 - $25). I'm hoping that I can get one locally for the same price, without the freight cost.

Does anyone know what the differences are between the various colours of torsion bars as regards the different models of bay window VWs?

Thanks in anticipation.

Ian Hallett Orange NSW Australia 2800

email: halleti@agric.nsw.gov.au