Date:         Wed, 15 May 1996 08:29:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon spoiler

>Although I don't know if a later model spoiler will fit, I do know that some >sort of spoiler/air dam will have a positive effect on the handling of the >vehicle (less lift under the front end). Yes, it does increase frontal area >a bit, but the handling improvements at speed are worth it. Just think of a >stock-based racing car. Flared fenders, deep air dam, monster spoiler on the >back, etc. Sure it adds a bit of drag, but the benefits outweigh the >downside. > > The only problem I found was the lack of ground clearance. My '84 was >lowered a bit, running on 185/70R14 (instead of 185R14) tires and had an >aftermarket spoiler on the front end.

To each his own driving style.

Personally, I've never had a need for a lowered car, or a front spoiler. If I ever do have such a need or desire, a VW van is the last place on earth I'd look to get it. I do desire to keep up with traffic, and the V6anagon handles that adequately. It handles fine at 80, tho I usually cruise it at 65 on freeways. It's definitely tailheavy, but handles so well despite that, that I'm not going to fix it when it ain't broke (the clutch keeps me plenty occupied!)

I've encountered far more situations where I needed the ground clearance to get over driveways, crowned intersections, potholes, etc., than I needed the low-ness to take care of whatever that's supposed to take care of. A car that makes me worry about normal road features, is more trouble than it's worth IMHO. More than once I (and all the cars behind me in our lane) have been held up by a kewl jewel that the driver decided had to slow down to 0.5 mph to cross a speed bump or intersection. As for me-- well, I guess my handle's too short to drive a car like that. Nobody's perfect. When I want to imitate a stocker, I'll drive the mustang, probably poorly. Fortunately that's not too often. ______________________________________________________________________ _ ______________ ______//________ Steve Maher smaher@gi.com //__][__||____\\ /o _ | -| _ \ San Diego, CA 75461,1717 (o _-| _ o| `-(_)=======(_)---' '(_)-------(_)-' '66 Mustang Coupevertible '89 Son Sherwin '80 VW V6anagon

http://www.wp.com/IrishMafia

"There are plenty of jobs available-- I have three of them myself!" ----------------------------------------------------------------------