Date:         Wed, 15 May 1996 08:51:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      Re: MidWest VW Ads

>BTW: I was told of a 1978 bus that a guy has for sale about 15 miles >south of me. He wants $100. It is drivable however, the kid that bought >it had to give it back cuz "he couldn't get a title for it." If there is >a will, there is away.

Uh oh... careful. Remember, you're dealing with the gummint here when you talk of titles, especially missing ones. If I were you, I'd at least call the police and/or DMV with the VIN and ask them if there are any warrants (police) or leins (DMV) on the car, before proceeding. And get the name of the person you talk to, so that when the next file clerk tells you that his info wasn't relevant or correct or whatever, you can sic them on each other instead of being left holding the bag.

Lessons learned the hard way! Remember that the function of any gummint office, is to restrict you from doing something you would have done just fine without them (whether it's driving an unregistered but harmless car, or stealing your neighbor's TV). Many such restrictions are legitimate and valuable, but occasionally you run into a desk pilot who finds it easier to say No, than to find out if the answer is Yes.

When the gummint's involved, "Where there's a will, there's a won't". :^)

Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon w/Chevy 2800 '66 Mustang Coupevertible

Check out the cars at http://www.wp.com/IrishMafia

*** There are plenty of jobs around! Hell, I have three of them! *** ______________________________________________________________________