Date:         Wed, 15 May 1996 09:51:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      Re: MidWest VW Ads

>Is there a Militia Movement on in Southern Kalifornia?

Not that I've heard. Looking for one? Check those Freemen idiots in Montana-- you'll find what you want.

>You're killing me up here in bastion of liberalism and truth...

...and the stone wall between the two. :^) Seen the column by Feder? Are you seriously implying that all gummint offices serve useful purposes and have no deadweight? Or that they do something other than restrict? Sometimes that restriction is a good thing to do, as in the second everyday example I gave, but it's still restriction. If they "help" one person, they can do it only by taking from another, plus a little more to pay their salaries-- the reason they shouldn't "help" in the first place.

My point was to advise the original poster to check out that lost-title bus carefully, and to suggest ways to avoid the runarounds I've gotten in the past-- invariably from gummint offices. When I get them from private companies, it's usually not hard to get to the root, or to go to the competition, as others on this list have described doing also. But gummint offices seem like bottomless quagmires sometimes. I wish it weren't that way, but I see no mechanism available to change or avoid the tendency-- that sic-'em technique, is only partial successful at best. Hence my comments, based on sad experience, rather than an attempt to inject extremism into a situation common to gummint offices everywhere.

Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon w/Chevy 2800 '66 Mustang Coupevertible

Check out the cars at http://www.wp.com/IrishMafia

*** There are plenty of jobs around! Hell, I have three of them! *** ______________________________________________________________________